Several that I already use come to mind, like the five 5's in 6th, the kite project in 7th ( although it has no driving question) and the pop-up book in geometry. There have been others over the years that could also fit the mold with some work- scale- making life size puppets, creating plans, and thinks like that. Even the laying out of the track for field day meets a lot of the critia
During reading, many of the current projects Harry and I do in our classes popped to mind, and I got a lot of ideas about how to possibly improve them and laughed at some of the things the book says we do "wrong," such as the tip listed on pg. 50 - How NOT to engage students - Give them a huge packet, detailed explanation, required work, rubric, etc. in the beginning. This is so the Kite project. A couple of new title options: Up, Up, and Away or Let's Go Fly a Kite with a driving question of How high can your kite fly. We of course need to change the project around a little. Perhaps have the students research materials and supplies to use to build kites, investigate whether surface area affects height, etc.
Another projected modification I thought of was for my unit on systems in algebra. It is currently called "The Business of Algebra" and like one listed in the PBL book. The students choose to be a party planner or a cell phone salesman. They then blindly pick a customer who has a particular need and must address two plans for their customer, determining at what point both plans cost the same and which one is the best value for their customer.For example, the party planner has two party options: a pool party and bowling party. Both have different flat rates for rentals and per person rates. Because the only method that the student really knows at the start of the project is how to graph equation, this is usually the only method used to determine the point at which the plans are the same (solve the system.) I then "lecture" the other methods used to solve systems after the project is complete. After reading PBL, my thought is to adjust the project to cover the entire unit. I need to come up with a catching title and driving question (initial thoughts...Party City, USA and How can we save our parents some dough?) Instead of just graphing the options to determine when two plans cost the same amount, I can have students research the methods in groups and then assign each group one method to use to complete the project. Each group could also be responsible for teaching their method to the other group and design homework problems for the other groups. I can assess with quizzes after a presentation and assignment.
A new project I thought of was for the distributive property and like terms. Perhaps entitled Distribute This with a driving question like Why can't I add x and y? I find in teaching these concepts, student learn the how to, but don't understand the why, so when they see the distributive property in a different "format," they don't recognize it, like the case of factoring out a common monomial. Haven't thought through much of how to do this project and what to include, but could incorporate a lot of vocabulary (coefficient, variable, power, base, exponent).
Laura, I love your comment about the kite project's huge packet! It's all done with good intentions!
I bet Laura will engage us in ways to involve the students generating the driving questions, as she has always had students involved with formulating questions and setting criteria for projects. In her new Smart Writing book, she has a handy "formula" for helping students create thesis statements for analytical essays, so I bet similar strategies would pertain to generating driving questions.
Laura, you distribution project sounds right on. It reminded me to allow for more deductive thinking where students will have more ownership if they see the "a ha" and can explain it because it was their driving question.
Actually, two new opportunities have presented themselves for collaborative learning, one in the seventh and one in the eighth. I signed up for a partnership with another NAIS school (yet to be named) to work on trade relations and international economic relationships (eighth). I attended a wonderful seminar on the 'War of 1812' at the White House visitors center. Apparently this is a hot topic with Belgian schools in Ghent (where the peace treaty was negotiated and written) so we'll partner with them on this little studied period. I'm excited and I think these will be great new units to add to the curriculum.
I totally felt the similar pain as I read "What Not To Do" and had flash backs to the day I presented a project to 7th Grade on a WebQuest they would complete about Spain. I presented a lot of information in one class period of all of the requirements, expectations, etc.- BLAH! The organizational charts in the book really helped me realize how I can plan due dates and have check points throughout the project. As a first year teacher I definitely looked at some rough drafts last year and asked myself "Did I explain what I wanted?" "Where my expectations and goals clearly lined out for students?"
I keep asking myself how many reminders do students need to look back over the rubric I handed out on the first day of the project. I even have the rubric projected onto my smartboard during project work periods and I still received projects missing crucial steps. Yikes! Does this happen to anyone else?
Million Dollar Project in 5th Math is an area that I see the need for tweeking. Some students kind of go through the motions and it becomes a basic math project. How can you spend 1 million dollars to help others in need? is a good driving question but I'm looking at the components to see how to reach a more critical thinking level for all students. Plus I use the project as somewhat of an "add on" instead of a main part of their school day.
Several that I already use come to mind, like the five 5's in 6th, the kite project in 7th ( although it has no driving question) and the pop-up book in geometry. There have been others over the years that could also fit the mold with some work- scale- making life size puppets, creating plans, and thinks like that. Even the laying out of the track for field day meets a lot of the critia
ReplyDeleteDuring reading, many of the current projects Harry and I do in our classes popped to mind, and I got a lot of ideas about how to possibly improve them and laughed at some of the things the book says we do "wrong," such as the tip listed on pg. 50 - How NOT to engage students - Give them a huge packet, detailed explanation, required work, rubric, etc. in the beginning. This is so the Kite project. A couple of new title options: Up, Up, and Away or Let's Go Fly a Kite with a driving question of How high can your kite fly. We of course need to change the project around a little. Perhaps have the students research materials and supplies to use to build kites, investigate whether surface area affects height, etc.
ReplyDeleteAnother projected modification I thought of was for my unit on systems in algebra. It is currently called "The Business of Algebra" and like one listed in the PBL book. The students choose to be a party planner or a cell phone salesman. They then blindly pick a customer who has a particular need and must address two plans for their customer, determining at what point both plans cost the same and which one is the best value for their customer.For example, the party planner has two party options: a pool party and bowling party. Both have different flat rates for rentals and per person rates. Because the only method that the student really knows at the start of the project is how to graph equation, this is usually the only method used to determine the point at which the plans are the same (solve the system.) I then "lecture" the other methods used to solve systems after the project is complete. After reading PBL, my thought is to adjust the project to cover the entire unit. I need to come up with a catching title and driving question (initial thoughts...Party City, USA and How can we save our parents some dough?) Instead of just graphing the options to determine when two plans cost the same amount, I can have students research the methods in groups and then assign each group one method to use to complete the project. Each group could also be responsible for teaching their method to the other group and design homework problems for the other groups. I can assess with quizzes after a presentation and assignment.
A new project I thought of was for the distributive property and like terms. Perhaps entitled Distribute This with a driving question like Why can't I add x and y? I find in teaching these concepts, student learn the how to, but don't understand the why, so when they see the distributive property in a different "format," they don't recognize it, like the case of factoring out a common monomial. Haven't thought through much of how to do this project and what to include, but could incorporate a lot of vocabulary (coefficient, variable, power, base, exponent).
Laura, I love your comment about the kite project's huge packet! It's all done with good intentions!
DeleteI bet Laura will engage us in ways to involve the students generating the driving questions, as she has always had students involved with formulating questions and setting criteria for projects. In her new Smart Writing book, she has a handy "formula" for helping students create thesis statements for analytical essays, so I bet similar strategies would pertain to generating driving questions.
Laura, you distribution project sounds right on. It reminded me to allow for more deductive thinking where students will have more ownership if they see the "a ha" and can explain it because it was their driving question.
DeleteActually, two new opportunities have presented themselves for collaborative learning, one in the seventh and one in the eighth. I signed up for a partnership with another NAIS school (yet to be named) to work on trade relations and international economic relationships (eighth). I attended a wonderful seminar on the 'War of 1812' at the White House visitors center. Apparently this is a hot topic with Belgian schools in Ghent (where the peace treaty was negotiated and written) so we'll partner with them on this little studied period. I'm excited and I think these will be great new units to add to the curriculum.
ReplyDeleteI totally felt the similar pain as I read "What Not To Do" and had flash backs to the day I presented a project to 7th Grade on a WebQuest they would complete about Spain. I presented a lot of information in one class period of all of the requirements, expectations, etc.- BLAH! The organizational charts in the book really helped me realize how I can plan due dates and have check points throughout the project. As a first year teacher I definitely looked at some rough drafts last year and asked myself "Did I explain what I wanted?" "Where my expectations and goals clearly lined out for students?"
ReplyDeleteI keep asking myself how many reminders do students need to look back over the rubric I handed out on the first day of the project.
I even have the rubric projected onto my smartboard during project work periods and I still received projects missing crucial steps. Yikes! Does this happen to anyone else?
Million Dollar Project in 5th Math is an area that I see the need for tweeking. Some students kind of go through the motions and it becomes a basic math project. How can you spend 1 million dollars to help others in need? is a good driving question but I'm looking at the components to see how to reach a more critical thinking level for all students.
ReplyDeletePlus I use the project as somewhat of an "add on" instead of a main part of their school day.