I liked the fact that after the projects presentations, teachers make the students look back on the journey they have completed. Guiding students in self and group assessment is important.
Not that this is new, but is is something I've struggled with...the "grading" of collaboration and presentation. PBL goes into it a little bit, at least giving a rubric. The question is how to weight it. I do like the Group Agreement form on p. 129.
I really enjoyed the idea of keeping the end in mind because I feel like projects can go on forever (and some students like it that way!). An overall feeling that came up for me throughout was the idea of patience. Students and teachers need patience when exploring a new idea or project, especially when it involves technology. Sometimes we are steered away from doing things with technology because of the time commitment. Then I realized what takes me 5 minutes takes my students 1 minute and they are able to get things done faster and enjoy using the technology skills they have.
I also really enjoyed the group agreement form because I already have experiences where I wish I had one of these. Can we get copies of these forms somewhere?
The importance of keeping the end in mind, and maintaining structure. Also, the author assumes classes meet for at least 60 minutes a day.
ReplyDeleteI liked the fact that after the projects presentations, teachers make the students look back on the journey they have completed.
ReplyDeleteGuiding students in self and group assessment is important.
Not that this is new, but is is something I've struggled with...the "grading" of collaboration and presentation. PBL goes into it a little bit, at least giving a rubric. The question is how to weight it. I do like the Group Agreement form on p. 129.
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed the idea of keeping the end in mind because I feel like projects can go on forever (and some students like it that way!). An overall feeling that came up for me throughout was the idea of patience. Students and teachers need patience when exploring a new idea or project, especially when it involves technology. Sometimes we are steered away from doing things with technology because of the time commitment. Then I realized what takes me 5 minutes takes my students 1 minute and they are able to get things done faster and enjoy using the technology skills they have.
ReplyDeleteI also really enjoyed the group agreement form because I already have experiences where I wish I had one of these. Can we get copies of these forms somewhere?
Yes, you can download it at: www.bie.org.
ReplyDelete