I learned a lot about time management!! I will definitely use the charts in the book when I plan my next project.
This book also reminded me about stepping out of the teacher role that has "all the answers" (sometimes) and stepping into the role as a facilitator. In other words, it's nice to have students explore and find thing out about another country on their own rather than me telling them what it is like. With all of the resources on the internet students can upload videos, songs, etc. about a specific holiday in another country and present on the types of food and dances that might typically happen on that day. This to me brings learning to life and is way more interesting.
Alex, I added a comment but think I wasn't logged on correctly. So... I'll try again. Thank you for pointing out the role of facilitator. So often I feel it's easy to fall into "teacher" directed mode and the project suddenly isn't so student centered. It's important to give the students the guidance but step back and let them drive it. Sometimes I feel time constraints and realize later that I am doing too much of the work instead of facilitating.
I learned a lot about time management!! I will definitely use the charts in the book when I plan my next project.
ReplyDeleteThis book also reminded me about stepping out of the teacher role that has "all the answers" (sometimes) and stepping into the role as a facilitator. In other words, it's nice to have students explore and find thing out about another country on their own rather than me telling them what it is like. With all of the resources on the internet students can upload videos, songs, etc. about a specific holiday in another country and present on the types of food and dances that might typically happen on that day. This to me brings learning to life and is way more interesting.
Alex, I added a comment but think I wasn't logged on correctly. So... I'll try again.
DeleteThank you for pointing out the role of facilitator. So often I feel it's easy to fall into "teacher" directed mode and the project suddenly isn't so student centered. It's important to give the students the guidance but step back and let them drive it. Sometimes I feel time constraints and realize later that I am doing too much of the work instead of facilitating.